A new era of micro-precision
Processing metal workpieces down to the micrometre range with pinpoint accuracy - that is what our laser technology makes possible. We use ultra-short light pulses for our lasers. These have no thermal influence on the base material and guarantee optimum production quality. This is how we develop customised solutions and new manufacturing potentials together with our customers.
Advantages of metal processing with laser beams
During metal processing with the laser, metal removal is performed by the aligned photons of the respective laser beam. The photons are bundled and when the desired energy is reached, they are directed as a light pulse with a defined wavelength onto the workpiece. The light of the laser beams has wavelengths in the range of 103-1 nm and causes the atoms of the material to be processed to be excited. Each material needs a certain wavelength to be excited particularly well.
We use pulsed lasers
Pulsed lasers have proven to be advantageous for precise machining of workpieces. stoba Customized Machinery uses lasers with ultra-short light pulses of length in microseconds (1/1,000,000, 1 x 10-6 seconds), nanoseconds (1 x 10-9 seconds), picoseconds (1 x 10-12 seconds) and femtoseconds (1 x 10-15 seconds), because shorter pulses with higher energy density remove the material without thermally affecting the base material.
Laser processing in 2D or 3D
During laser processing, the laser source generates a laser beam of a certain type and energy. The conditioning of the laser beam is done by the so-called scanner – it takes over the light conduction and focusing of the laser beam. The construction of a scanner varies depending on the manufacturer, its main task is to bundle the laser beam via lenses of various optical units. The scanner also controls the deflection of the laser beam, e.g. to generate a lettering. The deflection is done by driven mirrors: extremely dynamic, fast and precise galvo motors are used for this purpose. The number of deflection axes for 2D and 3D deflection varies.
Laser processing methods for different areas of application
Our lasers are used to process a wide variety of materials in a wide range of fields. These include, for example:
- Drilling of injection glands in the automotive industry
- Laser cutting of stents in the medical sector
- Structuring sapphire glass, ceramics or mother-of-pearl in the watch industry
- Removal and structuring of embossing dies in tool and mould making
- Drilling of turbine blades in aerospace technology
Surface Processing with Laser Beams
Laser beam micromachining enables precise machining of the surfaces of individual workpieces. The targeted ablation of specific layer areas can create ideal surface structures. While the requirements are high in each segment, they are always different.
High-Precision Systems for Laser Machining from stoba
The benefits of our laser surface processing technology (e.g. laser cutting or ablation) are manifold. Here are all of the benefits at a glance:
- Precise machining of metal workpieces (e.g. stainless steel, steel, or aluminum)
- Lasers use ultra-short light pulses for optimum production quality
- Laser cutting delivers pinpoint accuracy with clean-cut edges
- Minimal temperature influence
- Extremely high speed
- Ultra high precision
- Support via personal contacts and a team of experts with extensive know-how of laser technology
We are therefore the ideal service provider for manufacturers and industrial customers who demand guaranteed high-quality components made using laser technology – in both small quantities and for series production.
Laser machining center – 5-axis CNC-Femto
Machine concept for micro-precision drilling and machining
- Mechanical pre-machining and laser finishing of drill holes
- Drilling from ø 25 μm
- Laser efficiency at approx. 95%
- 5-axis kinematics with a positioning accuracy of ± 1.0 μm Rigid granite frame with integrated machining axes for up to three machining positions
- Frame and axles with water cooling. Temperature stability ± 0.1 Kelvin
- Moveable control panel with Beckhoff Twin CAT
- Working area of the processing stations visible via HD camera
- Feeding of the workpieces by means of vibration conveyor
- Two different workpiece types can be processed simultaneously
- Machine is set up for high throughput at highest precision